The first settler was Rev. James McGee of Centre County in 1826. One of his daughters married Robert Mahaffey, who the town of Mahaffey is named after. Originally, the settlement was known as "Chest" and was the site of a station on the mail route between Curwensville and Indiana, PA. One of Rev. James Mcgee's grandchildren, Henry Holmes Mcgee operated a grist mill in Chest. Later, because of the mill, the town became known as McGee's Mills. The town has always been small. The Bell's Gap Railroad extended it's line from Mahaffey thru McGee's Mills.